Saturday, September 1, 2007

can we be best friends?

"Mom, can we be best friends?"


This is the question I heard come out of my daughters mouth this morning as we were snuggling in bed. My initial reaction was to just let the tears (that were welling up in my eyes) flow freely down my face, squeeze her so tight, and just pray that time would stand still...FOREVER!

If only she knew how much I wanted her question to come true. I would love nothing more then to be her best friend and confidant. I pray every day that she knows she is loved. As parents I think we struggle finding a happy middle ground between friend and disciplinarian. I want my children to know that I am their parent. That there are rules and guidelines that have to be followed. And on the other hand...I want them to know that I am there for them always!

I needed to document this moment...for I know that it will only be a few short years until I am no longer cool in her eyes. I am sure if she is anything like I was to my mother...we will hit our rough patches. But one thing will remain constant and that is my love for her. For now I am enjoying the moment.

So in answer to your question Lyza...YES!!! I would love to be your BEST FRIEND!

2 comments:

Shalice said...

Are you serious? That is definitely on of those "rewarding moments" we as moms crave for. It immediatly makes the "frustrating moments" disappear! So CUTE....especially the picture of you two looking at the ocean. I love it!

Mindy said...

Perfect! I know I say it lots, but "perfect" is all that can describe it. Good thing you can blog times like these, illustrations of your perfect moments are definitely to be remebered and saved!